Want to record the game footage from your Playstation, Xbox, PC or Wii? All you need is a capture card. Capture cards allow you to demonstrate your gameplay footage in an impressive manner. You can edit the gameplay on your PC and upload footage to YouYube, Facebook, or stream to websites like Ustream, twitch.tv, etc. However, there are tons of other communities as well that support gaming. Which video recording devices are the best capture cards?
In this post, we’ve outlined some of the best capture cards to help you find the one that best suits your budget and requirements. So, without any further ado, let’s jump right into it.
Minimum System & Connection Requirements:
· PC with i7 Processor
· USB Cable
· 2 HDMI Cables
· High Upload Speed
Setting up capture cards may seem like a daunting task, especially when there is a “share” button on the PS4. But capture card gives you full control over your stream and it’s totally worth the effort.
Benefits of capture cards:
· Stream in HD quality
· Retain the audience with a delay-free streaming experience
· Use overlays and commentary to stay ahead of other competitors
· Create and manage video library on external storage easily
How to choose the Best Capture Cards?
Whether it is your first buy or you want to upgrade, the following features are something that you should look out for when choosing the best capture card:
· Video Quality
· Streaming option
· Cost and Value
Types of Capture Cards
There are two main types of capture cards available in the market: internal and external. External capture card offers a wonderful advantage of portability. We will outline each below, showing you the best capture cards available today.
Top 10 Best Game Capture Cards
When we talk about the best game capture card, there are two major players in the market: Elgato and AVerMedia. They have been around for the longest time and are very popular. The reason reflects in the quality of their products. There are some other options available as well namely,
Hauppauge, Razer, Roxio, etc.
- Input: PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch (unencrypted HDMI)
- Output: HDMI (lag-free pass-through) up to 1080p60
- Supported resolutions: 1080p60, 1080p30, 1080i, 720p60, 720p30, 576p, 576i, 480p
- Dimensions: 112 x 75 x 19 mm / 4.4 x 3 x 0.75 in.
- Weight: 106 g / 3.7 oz
The latest and most amazing capture card that Elgato has ever produced is HD60 S. It is an external capture card that offers USB 3.0 Type C connection which is the most efficient technology for live streaming. The finest USB 3.0 connection helps in better data transmission and decrease the potential threat of obstructing game performance. Apart from the upgraded interface, mostly everything remains the same as the standard Elgato Game Capture HD60. If you have some more money and your system is USB 3.0 compatible, don’t think twice and just upgrade to this model. UPDATE – Now it’s basically the same price as the original, so just get this one! Editor’s Choice! (This is what everyone is using, definitely at the top with the best capture cards)
- Stream and record your Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo Switch gameplay. 1080p quality with 60 fps
- Built-in live streaming to twitch, YouTube & more; Capture Bitrate: Upto 60 Mbps
- Instant Gameview: Stream with superior low latency technology
- Master copy: Simultaneous 1080p60 H. 264 recording while streaming
- Input : Play Station 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch (unencrypted HDMi), Output : HDMI (lag-free pass-through) Upto 1080p60
Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro has a lot of similarities with the Elgato Game Capture HD60 in many aspects. However, the main difference is their interfaces. This ‘Pro’ version lets you connect to your PC using a PCIe slot instead of USB 2.0. With the stream button, you can add live commentary, webcam, and overlays. Never miss a moment with the Flashback Recording feature. Go back in time on your PC and click the record button. Just like Elgato Game Capture HD60, the ‘pro’ version records and streams in 1080p @ 60 fps simultaneously. Enjoy the Iag-free game view with Elgato’s low latency technology.
- Record your Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo gameplay
- Flawless 1080p quality at 60 fps
- Unlimited capture right to your PC or Mac
- Flashback Recording: record retroactively
- One-click sharing to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter
With the Elgato Game Capture HD60, you can capture, stream and share your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U gameplay with your followers all over the world. It can perfectly capture hours of gameplay in high-quality 1080p with 60 fps and you can directly open that on your computer. It also offers a built-in live streaming feature that you can use to live stream your gameplay on various websites. Moreover, you can add your webcam, customized overlays, and change the layout of your gameplay. Last but not least: the built-in live commentary feature allows you to easily add your voice to your gameplay.
- Stream and record Xbox One, PlayStation, WiiU, Nintendo Switch, or NES Classic Edition console gameplay.
- Capture uncompressed 1080p 60fps
- Ultra low latency streaming and recording over USB 3.0. Audio Input: HDMI, RCA L/R.Audio Mixing: 3.5 mm Mic In, 3.5 mm Aux In
- Live Editing - Edit, trim and merge gameplay on the fly
- Stream Customization – Add webcam, overlays, picture in picture, and more
This capture card is basically AVerMedia’s adaptation of the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S. The low latency technology, USB 3.0 and high-quality 1080p make this card AVerMedia’s the best ever capture card. The advanced RECentral 2 feature enables you to record, stream, and share gameplays on the various social media platforms. Other than the common features like editing, merging, and time-shifting, Live Gamer Extreme also lets you add background music and live commentary.
- Stream and record Xbox, PlayStation, WiiU, Nintendo Switch, or NES Classic Edition console gameplay
- Capture in full HD 1080p with H.264 hardware encoder
- Record stand-alone without PC directly to SD card
- Ultra low latency streaming and recording
- TimeShift – Record retroactively
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD is a PCIe game capture card that allows you to capture and stream gameplay footages in HD. It also enables you to capture up to 60 Mbps and has an HDMI pass-through feature to record game footage while playing the game without experiencing any lag. Just like other models, it also comes with AVerMedia’s RECentral 2 software that helps you to add webcam, custom overlays, live commentary and stream directly to streaming websites.
- Stream and record Xbox, PlayStation or WiiU console gameplay
- Capture uncompressed 1080p 60fps
- Ultra low latency streaming and recording over USB 3.0
- USB 3.0 Diagnosis Tool – Test the performance of your PC for compatibility with ExtremeCap U3
- TimeShift – Record retroactively
This capture card can record and live stream gameplay footage in uncompressed and complete HD 1080p @ 60 fps with nominal latency. Owing to it to the advanced USB 3.0 technology, the ExtremeCap U3 lets you play directly in the preview window while recording. You can enjoy all the benefits of AVerMedia’s RECentral 2 software with this capture card too.
- HD Video Recorder for set top boxes or gaming consoles using HDMI or Component technology
- Recorder includes digital audio (SPDIF) and IR Blaster Technology. Laptop or desktop PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
- Records video in a high definition H.264 Blu-ray compatible format to your PC from a Set Top box using Component Video, from the Xbox360 using HDMI or from the PS3 using Component Video
- Includes HDMI and component cables and USB cable is 9 feet. Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit)
- Records at video resolutions up to 1080i in real time using a built-in hardware H.264 encoder
Hauppauge is another leading capture card company that has produced many good quality capture cards for gamers. With the Hauppauge Capture feature, you can record, edit, and share gameplay footage in HD. You can easily add commentary to your video recordings and live streaming with multi-audio. Additionally, you can include your logo, watermark, etc.
- 2 x Breakout Cables
- Media Express Software
- Disk Speed Test
- Blackmagic System Preferences
- Blackmagic Driver
The Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme is essentially designed for professional videographers and video editors. They have been in the video capture space longer than the rest, and their products are for professional use. It allows you to record gameplay in proper high resolution. It also features a useful built-in commentary function. If you have some professional video editing and recording to do, this is the capture card you should buy.
- Capture/Edit including real-time "Voice Commentary"
- Open Broadcast Software (OBS Studio) Support
- Live Streaming
- HD Video Capture and Game Box Recorder
- Stream your edited scenes on YouTube and Facebook or stream live to Twitch or Ustream with real-time voice commentary
Although Multimedia isn’t very popular, it can be a great option for people who don’t need the leading edge. It is inexpensive as compared to other capture cards and you still get a 1080p HDMI game recorder and a streaming box. The shortcomings of this card are USB 2.0 port and the absence of its own full-featured software. But if you’re comfortable with Open Broadcast Software (which is preferred by most streamers), you may consider this option.
- Capture, edit, share, and live stream your gaming footage from your PS4, Xbox One, PC, and more in crisp HD video (up to 1080 30p/1080 60i) with your choice of HDMI or component input and output
- Stream gameplay from your console as well as your commentary directly to YouTube and TwitchTV, with the ability to test your bandwidth and detect your live stream speed
- Edit H.264 encoded videos, add 1 of over 95 transitions, up to six picture in pictures, soundtracks, special effects, text, and voice overs; Share your videos to YouTube and Facebook with a click
- Access set up videos and tutorials with the VIDEO; HDPRO community
- Each set includes the Roxio Game Capture HD PRO, USB cable, Roxio game recording software and video editing software, and Getting Started guide; HDMI and console specific cables are sold separately
Many gamers have complained about compatibility and customer service problems with Roxio‘s game capture cards. When compared to the other options in this list, Roxio Game Capture HD PRO definitely lacks in performance.
So, this is our compiled list of the best capture cards to buy. As an avid gamer and YouTuber, you can now demonstrate your awesome gaming skills to the world. Gaming has been one of the most popular hobbies around the world and it has a huge community surrounding it. Investing in a top-quality game capture card will give you more freedom to take control
of your gameplay recordings and live to stream.