Top 10 Tips for the Perfect PC Gaming Setup
If you’re serious about gaming, you’ve already come to the conclusion that it’s time to choose PC over a console. With 1.2 billion PC gamers worldwide, you’re in good company if you’re looking to spend your time killing monsters, looting dungeons, or venturing into new, unexplored worlds.
But if you don’t know your AMD from your NVIDIA, you might be struggling to figure out what you need to have a truly impressive gaming setup that will play the latest games and last for the next few years. If you’re just setting up your gaming rig to tackle the online and offline worlds of gaming, we’d always suggest that you future-proof your rig too.
This means that when you look at putting in your next motherboard, ensure that in four years’ time, you’ll be able to get significant performance improvements by upgrading your RAM, CPU, and graphics card, rather than buying an entirely new rig altogether. Monitors, cases, power supplies and peripherals tend to last a lot longer than the latest tech, so it’s always good to shop for quality, rather than just whatever is the cheapest.
With that in mind, we’ve curated a list of top 10 tips to help you get you on your way towards gaming perfection.
1. Think About Monitor Sizes (And Numbers)
If you were buying a console, you’d be looking to buy 4K TVs in ever-increasing sizes to get a real cinematic experience.
With PC gaming, it’s a little different, and it all depends on what you’re looking to get out of your PC. If you’re a super competitive gamer, you might opt for a monitor with a higher frequency so that you suffer less tearing on the screen when you play. Perhaps you want to go for a 27” monitor and play at 1080p, or maybe something a little bigger to try gaming at 1440p, or even 4K! It’s completely up to you.
Bear in mind, a good monitor should last you many years, so this is an area you shouldn’t skimp on because monitor tech moves a lot slower than general PC tech. This will be the last thing that you buy again (unless you’re upgrading size and haven’t thought it through).
Whatever you decide, picking the right monitor is important. If you need more advice, take a look at our guide to finding the best cheap gaming monitor for your setup.
- G sync compatible
- 34 inches ultra wide 21: 9 Full HD (2560 x 1080) IPS display
- 144 Hertz refresh rate
- 1ms motion blur reduction
- HDR10 compatible
2. Pick a Graphics Card That Suits Your Gaming Needs
This is perhaps the most important component to think about when you’re designing your gaming setup.
If you’re buying a car, you’re always thinking about the top speed or acceleration. Picking the right graphics card is the gaming equivalent. You’ll want something that works for your system. Having a graphics card that churns out power for the best quality 4K games is great, but unless you have the monitor to support that, it’s probably overkilled. With cards ranging from $200 to $3000, make sure you pick a card that’s suitable not only for your gaming but also for your budget.
- Real Base Clock: 1607+ MHz/Real Boost Clock: 1683+ MHz; Memory Detail: 8192MB GDDR5
- With the click of one button, EVGA Precision XOC will detect, scan and apply your optimal overclock!
- Featuring an all-new 2.5 slot cooler and Ultra Silent Fan profile. Width-triple slot
- Completely adjustable RGB LED and DX12 OSD Support using EVGA Precision XOC
- 3 Year Warranty & EVGA's 24/7 Technical Support
3. Buy the Right Gaming Chair
This may not seem like one of the most important things to look for, but if you plan on doing marathon gaming sessions at your brand-new rig, you’ll want to make sure you’re comfortable. If you only plan to spend an hour a day playing games, that amount of time adds up, and if you ever do long 8-hour sessions, that’s probably as long as you sleep! You’d spend good money on a bed, so it only makes sense to do so on a chair.
Most gaming chairs are designed to be ergonomic. That means they’re designed to be comfortable and efficient for you to use for long periods of time. Take a look through some of our top picks of the top pc gaming chairs and find one that suits you the most.
- Effortless Assembly - "Slide-in" design creates a quick one-person installation process
- Steel Frame and Ultra Premium HR(High Density) Resilience Foam
- Reinforced 5-Star Base - Redesigned and constructed from a heavy-duty aluminum alloy material that assures a solid structure
- Custom 2.5" / 65mm racing stylist caster coated with PU for soft and smooth gliding on any surface. (color matching chair)
- Cushioned and contoured to the shape of the arm with adjustability in 4 directions
4. Get Yourself a Gaming Mouse and Keyboard
A mouse and keyboard designed specifically for gamers is not a gimmick. Perhaps at one point, it used to be, but these days, they are considered essential. You’ll want a mouse with accurate tracking, more than 2 buttons, some rubber grips, a good shape, and perhaps even a braided cable. There are plenty of brands to choose from, but they’re all better than the mouse you used to have.
As far as keyboards go, having flashy lights is just the beginning. You should look at mechanical keyboards, size, shape, and dimensions. There are different switches that you should research for mechanical keyboards too, you should also try to get one with shortcut keys you can customize, or perhaps even media controls on it. These are all basic things but make for a far more involving and customizable experience.
Don’t forget to choose a mouse pad, either. If you’ve got an ultra-sensitive mouse, you’ll need a good surface to move around on, and you can add a bit of extra color and flair while you do it.
- PC GAMING KEYBOARD AND GAMING MOUSE COMBO: Includes Redragon RGB Backlit Computer Gaming Keyboard and RGB Backlit Gaming Mouse. ALL-IN-ONE PC GAMER VALUE KIT, Fantastic for Gamers (New Improved Version)
- RGB BACKLIT GAMING KEYBOARD; 7 different RGB Lighting modes & effects, 4 backlight brightness levels, adjustable breathing speed. The keycaps offering clear uniform backlighting WIN key can be disabled for gaming. The PC Gaming Keyboard has been ergonomically designed to be a superb typing tool for office work as well. The gaming Keyboard is built to withstand the average liquid spill. The integrated wrist rest gives you the comfort you need for marathon gaming sessions
- MULTI MEDIA & ANTI GHOSTING; The Gaming Keyboard has 25 conflict free (n-Key Rollover) 10 Dedicated Multimedia keys plus 12 additional FN+ Multimedia keys (Total 114 keys). Keys are quiet, designed for longevity, durability delivering precise tactile feedback. Comes with Full numeric keypad and a gold-plated corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection and ultimate Gaming performance
- WIRED GAMING MOUSE; Ergonomic Redragon RED Backlit Gaming Mouse up to 3200 DPI (user adjustable 800/1600/2400/3200 DPI), 30G acceleration and Weight Tuning set. Total 6 Buttons of which 5 are programmable. The High-Precision Sensor delivers Pinpoint Accuracy while the Gaming Grade Micro Switches ensure longevity, greater durability and extreme responsiveness, giving you an even greater edge over your competition
- PC GAMING KEYBOARD AND GAMING MOUSE COMPATIBILITY: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, Limited Mac OS keyboard support. Works well with all major Computers Brands and Gaming PCs MSI, Dell, Corsair, Alienware, Razer, Asus and others
5. Get a Good-Sized Gaming Desk
If you’ve got the chair, you’ll need a good-sized gaming desk to go with it. You don’t need to buy something just because it says “gaming” on it though. You’re going to be sitting around a lot, so you want something that’s comfortable to sit at. Think about one that gives you the right distance from your monitor, with enough space for your mouse, keyboard, and other peripherals. Once you’ve worked all of this information out, you can find some great desks that can double up as gaming desks from the likes of IKEA.
There are some desks out there that are specifically designed for gaming though. These desks will have built-in cable management, headset holders, controller holders, the works. If you’re not sure which desk is right for you, take a look a look at our ultimate gaming desk guide.
- ✔【CABLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM】 - there is a storage box for power strip & two wire management trays for making your cables more organized.
- ✔【RETRACTABLE GEAR HOLDERS】-Cup holder & Headset hook, save desktop space and easy to reach for drinking and listening.
- ✔【5° ERGONOMIC INCLINE】 - Stay comfortable and ergonomic for hours with the inclined keyboard tray and mouse area covered by the included large mouse pad.
- ✔【UNIQUE DESIGN OF MOBILE DEVICE SLOT】 –Put your phone/tablet in your line of sight for added comfort.
- ✔【LARGE COOL SURFACE】 - The 50.6”L * 27”W carbon fiber textured work surface is pretty cool, smooth and durable, perfectly meeting your need to work or game.
6. Desktop or Laptop? Desktop Every Time
PC gamers tend to buy desktop PCs rather than laptops. The cost of a gaming laptop is seriously high compared to a desktop, rising to prices as high as $6000 for the same power that a desktop could provide at a third of the price. Remember that a mobile graphics card will never be as fast as the desktop equivalent.
Not only that, but a desktop PC gives you the flexibility to customize components to suit your needs, as well as the flexibility to upgrade in the future. Plus, you can have fun building your own gaming setup if you fancy the challenge.
- System: Intel Core i7-9700k 8-Core Processor 3. 6 GHz (4. 9 GHz Max Turbo) | Intel Z370 Express Chipset | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | 1TB 7200Rpm HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit high-end
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card | VR Ready | Display Connectors: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI | play your favorite games on ultra!
- Connectivity: 5 x USB 3. 1 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | Audio: 7. 1 Ch. HD Audio | 802. 11AC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Ready
- Special Add-Ons: iBuyPower signature trace Tempered glass RGB Gaming Case | Liquid Cooled | 802. 11AC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Ready | Free iBuyPower Gaming Keyboard & Mouse
- Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor + Free Lifetime Tech Support | Assembled in the U. S. A
7. What About Sound? Headphones or Speakers
If you’re investing in a gaming setup and you’ve already thought about how your games are
going to look, you can’t forget about how they’re going to sound. Games are almost cinematic these days. If you go to the cinema to watch a movie, would you want an inferior sound?
If you’re planning to play first-person shooter games online, then you should always look to have headphones. In fact, we would always suggest that you use headphones as a gaming priority. Sure, speakers are great for films, series, or YouTube videos, but you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage against other players if you’re not using a good set of headphones.
- 🎁REVAMPED 2020 COMFY DESIGN it's time for a high quality gaming headset without breaking the bank. TBI Pro has remastered and perfected what you always need in a gaming set: improved microphone, high quality sound, and exceptional comfort.
- 🎁PROFESSIONAL MICROPHONE AND VOLUME CONTROL super nice volume buttons and a dedicated mute button give an immense sense of control the one you need in your gaming adventures. With 50mm dynamic drivers and the noise canceling and steel beam slider, you can customize the headset with microphone to fit your face comfortably and completely turn yourself out of the surrounding sounds.
- 🎁UNIVERSAL GAMING HEADSET DESIGNED BY GAMERS these headphones can be used with your PC, Nintendo Switch, XboxOne headset or PS4 headset they work with any of the gaming consoles. Get the multiplatform for your maximum enjoyment with sound and microphone quality that will make your gaming even more impressive.
- 🎁HUGE 50MM DYNAMIC FOR REAL GAMING EXPERIENCE remastered for premium quality, superior comfort and ergonomics, the TBI Pro Gaming headset uses steel slider, premium leather headband and irresistibly soft, comfy and breathable earmuffs the durable comfort you deserve. The bright LED lights are also here for even better gaming effect.
- 🎁DESIGNED IN CHICAGO JOINTLY WITH GAMERS. Focus on the main gaming preferences and requirements in combination with advanced aulio technologies makes this gaming headset the best option for sophisticated gamers.
8. What About the Games? Origin, Steam and More
Don’t forget the second most important element. The games themselves!
These days, you don’t have to go to a store to get the games you want, because your PC is the store. Online stores like Origin, uPlay and Steam allow you to buy, download, and play games from the comfort of your own home. Have a look at some of the most popular online gaming stores to find the games that you want to play once you’re ready.
Steam is a third-party seller as well as having Valve games on board, while platforms like Origin and uPlay will only cater to their specific games for the most part. These happen to be EA games and Ubisoft games respectively.
9. Stylish Mood Lighting With LEDs
LED lighting can be a great addition to a gaming setup by adding a touch of ambiance and style. If nothing else, it’ll make your friends jealous! Lighting strips can be stuck around your desk to light up your room while you’re playing games. You can even sync up your lights with your other accessories to make everything match.
After all, who doesn’t want their cup holder to light up the same color as their desk?
- 8 Cores/16 Threads Unlocked
- Frequency: 4.3 GHz Max Boost. Base Clock 3.7GHz
- Compatibility : Windows 10 64 Bit Edition , RHEL x86 64 Bit , Ubuntu x86 64 Bit
- 20MB of Combined Cache
- Socket AM4 Motherboard Required, Supports Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition RHEL x86 64-Bit Ubuntu x86 64-Bit
10. Accessories for Every Purpose
If you’ve followed your tips so far, you’ve got pretty much everything else. The desk, the chair, the PC but what about some other accessories?
From the weird to the practical, there are accessories out there that can help to just finish off the look of your gaming setup. You could want to get yourself a steering wheel for your latest and greatest racing game. Maybe you want to get a joystick to start flying around. If you plan to play multiplayer games, a microphone is probably a great idea so that you can speak to your teammates. Finally, I’m not sure where I would be without my mouse bungee either.
Just make sure you’ve picked the right-sized desk to fit everything!
Give Yourself the Gaming Setup You Deserve
It doesn’t matter what sort of gaming you enjoy. What’s important is making sure you have the right gaming setup to enjoy it properly.
After all, there’s no point spending $60 on a new game to find that it’s slow and looks terrible on your machine.
Give yourself a gaming setup that will give you fun for the next few years and if you’re still unsure, feel free to contact us and we’ll do our best to help.