Mini quadcopters with the camera are becoming increasingly popular among people who want to become proficient pilots and those who want to have fun while flying a remote control toy. Although these aircraft have similar designs as the larger conventional RC quadcopters, they have stabilizing gyros, multiple flying modes and adjustable sensitivity levels that make them ideal for new pilots and those who want to develop their flying skills. A modern quadcopter with a camera can be used for aerial photography and for recording videos.
To buy the best mini quadcopter for your skill level, you need to carefully define your purpose for buying a drone. You may want to learn how to fly a mini quadcopter first before buying the more expensive models which are about 10 times the price of the mini drones. On the other hand, you may simply be eager to find out if the quadcopter and aerial photography hobby is right for you. As soon as you are sure of the reason why you want to purchase your mini quadcopter, you should do some research to determine the type of quad you can use to meet your goals. Absolute beginners should start with the durable, low-cost drones that will allow them to learn and improve their flying skills. More advanced pilots may prefer drones that offer 4-channel transmitters which will allow them to practice more advanced flying skills and acrobatics.
Best Mini Quadcopter Reviews
To help you with your research, we have provided some of the best mini drones that you can buy if you intend to learn how to be a proficient pilot or you just want to have fun. The quadcopters listed here are among the best quadcopters available in the market today. All of them have received stellar reviews and 5-star ratings from people who have bought them. The majority of these mini drones are for beginners while a few of them will appeal to all types of pilots from beginner to advanced.
New pilots will obtain the most value from durable quadcopters like the UDI U818A and the Syma X5C which is currently rated on popular online shopping sites as the best mini quadcopter with a camera. If you are interested in learning aerial photography, you will also enjoy using them to capture still photographs and video footage with their 2 MP cameras. For the rapid development of flying skills, you may want to check out the Holy Stone F180C which was specifically designed to help you improve your ability to fly with its four sensitivity levels. As you become more proficient in flying, you can increase the level of sensitivity of the sticks and try out various types of flips and stunts.
10. Extreme Fliers Micro Drone 2.0
Extreme Fliers Micro Drone is a great beginners’ quadcopter that has amazing wind resistance. Outdoor and night flying with this unique quad is really exciting because of its bright LED lights. Although Extreme Fliers v. 2.0 is made of very light materials, it is strong enough to withstand many hard crashes. Four spare propellers are included in the package so you may not need to visit the helicopter spare parts store unless you have a really bad crash. After you have mastered how to fly in normal safe mode, you may try out the 360-degree flips which are made possible by a pre-programmed algorithm.
If you are looking for a mini quadcopter with a camera, you should start with this one. It was the first micro drone in the world to carry a camera successfully. So you can use it to learn how to fly, snap photos, and record videos. Just make sure you buy at least 3 to 5 extra batteries because you will only have about 5 minutes of flight time per battery when you use the camera. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
9. Traxxas QR-1
Traxxas QR-1 is a specially designed mini drone; in fact, it is one of the smallest micro quadcopters ever made. With a 6-axis stabilization system, this aircraft is amazingly stable even in the gusty wind. Ordinarily, this should not be the first quad for a beginner, it is targeted towards advanced beginners and intermediate flyers. After learning with much cheaper 4-axis drones, you should be able to control this 1.4-pound micro quad with its 4 channel transmitter.
- Quad-rotor thrust with digital 6-axis stabilization
- Quickly master stable hovering and flight in Normal mode
- Includes two high-capacity LiPo batteries
- USB-powered dual-battery charger
- Measures 2.4GHz transmitter eliminates frequency conflicts
Traxxas QR-1 has two flying modes: normal and expert. In expert mode, you will be able to do several acrobatic stunts such as rolls, loops, and flips because the response time of the aircraft is much faster. A very strong selling point for this quadcopter is durability. The drone has an aluminum alloy airframe that remains intact even after repeated crashes. It is also very quiet so it can be flown indoors without disturbing other people. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
8. Holy Stone M62R
The beautiful Holy Stone M62R is easy to fly indoors. So most beginners will enjoy using this low-cost mini drone with a camera to learn the basics of flying an RC quadcopter. Flying this 11-ounce micro drone can be quite challenging in the wind, so ensure that you start out by flying at dawn or just before nightfall when the wind speed is almost zero. Holy Stone M62R comes with an extra battery and 8 propellers so you can enjoy longer flight-time and replace any damaged propellers.
In addition, the package contains virtually all the parts required for you to start flying within a few hours after you receive your package. One of the unique features of this mini quadcopter is the long battery life. After you have successfully charged the two batteries that came with the drone, you will discover that you will be fly and capture video for nearly 10 – 13 minutes on a single charge – twice the time specified in the user manual. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
7. Holy Stone F180C
Holy Stone F180C is a supermini drone designed to help a beginner develop flying skills rapidly. Its 4 sensitivity levels (labeled from 25% to 100%) enable the pilot to adjust the speed at which the aircraft will respond to the control sticks. Pilots who love stunts will be able to do 360-degree flying and flip the drone in 6 directions. Equipped with a 4 channel, 6-axis gyro 2.4 GHz transmitter, this drone can be used to capture 720p video footage and still photographs with the 2 Mp camera.
- Super mini drone for beginner, perfect drone trainer
- A key 360° 4-ways flip(left, right, forward, backward), continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance
- Equipped with video/photo camera(1280x720 pixel),4 kind of sensitivity modes for any level of player
- Comes with bonus stock battery & 12 blades for longer flight time
- Function: Hovering/360° flips/up/down/left/right/forward/backward
You can record and save your video footage on the 2Gb microSD card sold along with the quadcopter. Other items that come in the package include two 350 mAh batteries, a battery charger, and a card reader. To reduce crashes and prevent the loss of the drone, Holy Stone has included a headless flying mode that makes the aircraft return to you. F180C is an amazing machine loved by pilots of various skill levels. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
6. Hubsan X4 (H107L)
Hubsan X4 (H107L) is a low-cost drone that offers excellent flying stability for both indoor and outdoor flights. Flying this mini quadcopter will help to eliminate all the fears beginners usually have about flying and enable them to develop basic flying skills within a short time. Hubsan X4 H107L is fast, responsive and easy to control. If you want to find out whether the RC helicopter hobby is something you will really enjoy, you should start out by buying this quad.
- Durable one piece main frame.
- Precision 6 axis gyro.
- Ready to Fly.
- 4 channel 2.4Ghz control.
- High capacity LiPO battery.
Obviously, you will need to buy several additional battery packs for the quad so you can have longer flight time. Each battery pack will allow you to fly for about 10 minutes so you will need at least 5 extra batteries if you want to fly for one hour. As a beginner, you will also save a lot of money by installing the propeller guards which will keep your propellers in good shape after your initial crashes. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
5. Hubsan X4 (H107C)
Hubsan X4 is an amazingly small quadcopter. With the pod measuring less than 3 inches, it fits into the palm of your hand. It is quite easy to fly for both beginners and experienced pilots. In fact, if you are searching for a good first mini quadcopter with a camera, to learn how to fly and take photos and videos, the Hubsan X4 H107C is a good drone to buy. Weighing just 1 pound, this aircraft’s durability is quite impressive and it still functions perfectly after crashing from as high as 70 feet above the ground.
- Latest 6-axis flight control system with adjustable gyro sensitivity
- Permits super stable flight. With 4 channels
- Lightweight airframe with nice durability
- Camera: 0.3 MP video recording module included (requires a Micro SDHC card)
- 4-ways flip(left, right, forward, backward)
Hubsan X4 H107C produces fairly good photographs and videos even from as high as 100 feet above ground level. The aircraft is very stable, both indoors and outdoors. Since this quadcopter is designed for beginners, it has just a few acrobatic features including 4-way flips. After you have learned how to fly it with the 4-channel controller, you can try out these stunts. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
4. Syma X1
Syma X1 comes with everything you need to fly your quadcopter within a 1 or 2 hours after it is delivered to you. It comes with a 4 channel transmitter, a 350mAh LiPo battery that gives about 6 minutes of flight time, 4 extra propellers and an AC charger. Syma X1 is one of the best mini drone aircraft that allows you to perform acrobatic stunts. After learning the basics, you can hover on one spot, turn 360 degrees, flip the quad in 3 dimensions and fly in loops.
- 3D flips, stability and agility in flight makes it super simple to perform professional 3D maneuvers like pirouettes 3D fun flips, rolls and more
- 3-axis flight control system with adjustable gyro sensitivity will give you super stable flight
- With use of the newer 2.4Ghz technology, the SYMA x1 has strong anti-interference that lets you fly more helicopters at the same time
- Newer 2.4Ghz radio control also has longer control distance, small power consumptionand rapid response to easily giving you the most control
- Additional features: speed up mode, 360° eversion, flies both indoors and outdoorsand removable battery
Syma X1 is a very durable drone. Even after crashing it into trees or crashing from as high as 100 feet above the ground, the pod still remains solid. However, investing in a crash pack is a good idea. Ensure that you put on propeller guards and purchase additional batteries so you can get maximum value from this drone. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
3. Estes 4606 Proto X
Estes 4606 Proto X is extremely small, measuring just about 2″ x 2″. But if you are looking for the best micro quadcopter, you will not regret buying this one. It is very stable while flying and it responds quickly when you press the sticks on the transmitter. A full 4-channel 2.4 GHz digital radio transmitter was packaged along with the drone. No removable battery is included with this aircraft. Due to its small size, the battery has been soldered into the electronic circuit.
- FEATURES: Plastic body with window and trim detail LED light indicates front and back of the heli and also helps in low light flying 4-channel 2.4GHz
- INCLUDES: RTF Proto X Nano Quadcopter, 2.4GHz Radio, LiPo Battery, USB Charge Cord, 4 spare rotor blades and Instructions
- REQUIRES: AAA Batteries: Two for transmitter
Estes 4606 is more or less a toy-grade quadcopter because there are no replaceable parts. So you need to handle it with care. Once any part except the propeller gets broken, the only reasonable option is to purchase a completely new drone. That does not detract from the fun and excitement of flying a nano quad that is just a little larger than the size of a quarter dollar coin. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
2. Syma X5C
SYMA X5C is the top-rated quadcopter that many new pilots have used to learn how to fly successfully. It has very stable flight characteristics and comes with options for different skill levels. Powerful motors, a 500 mAh battery and a 50-meter transmitter range are among the unique features that make this quad a delight to fly. Other items included in the package include a microSD card for saving video footage and still photographs, a card reader, a set of propellers, and a screwdriver.
- A key 360o roll, continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance.
- Build-in 6 axis gyroscope for precise hovering in the sky
- Using spread spectrum technology for further remote distance, best anti-interference ability, least power consumption. you could fly more helicopters at the same time, its reaction speed is 100 times faster than other radio control
- Various control options for those piloting the X5 Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward, Backward, Leftward flight, Rightward flight.
- Equip with HD Camera
Decent video footage may be recorded with the 2 MP camera but the stability of the pictures depends on how well you can control the drone. The size of this drone and its white color makes it easier to see in the sky. So you can fly it at a higher altitude and for a longer distance. However, this should be done when there is little or no wind. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
1. UDI U818A
UDI U818A is a powerful quadcopter that provides all the features required to learn how fly a quadcopter. The 4.2-pound drone comes with a video camera, a 2G microSD card, and one 500 mAh LiPo battery. Since the first set of U818A models were released, the drone has been upgraded to include precise positioning and FPV video recording through WiFi. To extend the life of the microSD card, the footage and still photos may be transferred to a computer using a USB cable.
- DISCOVERY VIDEO DRONE: Remote control drone with camera is for kids and adults and includes 2 rechargeable drone batteries, a power bank, and 4GB Micro SD card
- 720P HD CAMERA DRONE: Capture crisp photos and videos with the 720p HD drone camera; these RC drones stay stable when taking footage with a 6-Axis Gyro
- EASY DRONE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS: Quadcopter drone for beginners features Headless Mode to orient the flying drone to the pilot’s position; launch and flip with 1 button
- SPECS: Photo drone shines with bright LEDs that flash when the drone battery is low; remote control drone in 2 speeds and flies for up to 18 minutes with charged batteries
- QUALITY ASSURED: Fly happy! We'll provide a full refund if you're not flying high with these top drones for adults, kids, and everyone in between
UDI U818A is one of the most durable quadcopters in its class. With its strong, factory fitted, propeller guards, this aircraft can withstand the worst crashes on roofs, trees, hard concrete, and indoor floors. Beginners and experienced pilots will enjoy the user-friendly transmitter that has digital trim settings and an LCD display that provides throttle settings, battery life, and camera settings. The 360-degree inversion button allows you to practice acrobatic stunts with this drone. Read Full Review & Customer Rating Here
Now that you have read these brief reviews of the best mini quadcopters, you should select about two or three drones for further research, you can get more information on each of these drones by clicking on the link in each review. Make sure you choose a mini drone that will fulfill your original purpose for buying it. Then carefully assess the durability, stability in the air, wind resistance, availability of spare parts, photo and video quality, and any other features that add significant value to the aircraft. If you are on a budget, you should carefully review all the drones listed and then select the one that will give you the best value for the price you can afford now.