As you know, LED flashlights are very popular around the world. With everyone from the basic dog walker, camper, survivalists, and even law enforcement agent is calling on the led version of light over the old school style. But how do you know what is the best one for your needs? How do you know if you should pay $300 or $5?
Here Are 8 Easy Steps To Help You Choose The Most Suitable LED Flashlight:
1. What do You Need It For?
First up, you will need to determine what the real need is. Basically, if you are conducting a search and rescue operation in the mountains of Colorado, then you should probably start looking at the long-range torches. These are usually the lights with a focused beam that has more than 1,000 lumens. I suggest making sure it is durable too, it would really suck to be out in the woods without a light because you dropped it when stumbling over a log on the ground.
It is for camping, hiking, fishing, sailing, or basic recreation, you probably can get by with 300-1000 lumens. This type does not have to be so technical in options but yet it should be tough.
For those general use situations such as around the house, attic or for power outages, look for one that is 100-300 lumens. This brightness is plenty bright for short distances like when searching in the garage for the light switch.
2. Decide How Much Brightness You Need
Brighter is not always better! Since the brightest LED flashlights are not just tools and have become cool gadgets, everyone thinks the brighter the light the better it is. Flashlight Connoisseurs would disagree. Finding the right brightness of torch is kind of like pairing a good beer or wine with your favorite dinner. It’s not one size fits all situations. Think about it, you don’t necessarily need to carry a $400 300+ lumen light in the glove box of your car.
You need to decide how bright the light really needs to be because that could affect the weight and size too.
10 – 20 Lumens: good for close-range tasks such as finding keys in your backpack, finding the keyhole in the front door, beam distance up to 100 meters.
20 – 150 lumens: beam distance of around 120 meters, great for around the garage, house, dog walking and especially handy when working on mechanics such as cars.
160 -200 lumens: these torches throw a beam around 250 meters and are great for general purposes, walking/hiking, camping, around the house, tactical work and personal security.
200 – 500 lumens: purpose-made for tactical/hunting, work, climbing, hiking, various work uses, fishing, and sailing
600 – 1,000 lumens: this is where it gets fun. You get beam distances of over 300 meters in some models which is great for camping, hiking, hunting, caving, fishing or industrial uses.
1,000 plus lumens: not for around the house or in built-up areas! These are serious outdoor lights fantastic for search and rescue, hunting, work or recreation on large properties. This level of lumens is even great for spotting boats on the water.
2,000 plus lumens: Do you really need anything this bright? Seriously, there are flashlights/spotlights this bright and even brighter for that matter, but you can start getting into some serious coin when looking at good ones.
- 50,000 hour lifetime; Flashlight torch
- Optimized electronics provide regulated intensity throughout battery charge
- 3 Watt Luxeon LED, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- Run time on high: 1.50 hours, run time on low: 5 hours
- 6 3/4 inch high by 2 3/4 inch wide; 3 inch diameter
- BIGGEST & BRIGHTEST - The S2000 is the biggest and brightest GearLight on the market. With a solid build and blinding brightness, the S2000 delivers up to 1200 real lumens. This mid-size flashlight is big on power but still compact enough to fit in your backpack, survival bag, or car glove compartment.
- SUPER BRIGHT WIDE BEAM - Ultra wide beam effortlessly illuminates a whole room or backyard. It is 20 times brighter than old incandescent lights and has double the lumen output of the popular As Seen on TV model. Conveniently takes 4 standard AA batteries. (Batteries are not included.)
- ZOOMABLE & 5 MODES: Focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away or zoom out to sweep a large area. 5 settings replace the need for multiple flashlights: (High|Medium|Low|Strobe|SOS). Makes for a practical addition to any household or emergency kit.
- WATER RESISTANT & DURABLE: Rain and snow will roll right off the all-weather aluminum body. Designed to be virtually indestructible, this flashlight can survive a 10-foot drop or being temporary submerged under water. Its durable and weighty feel delivers a sense of quality that smaller flashlights simply can't offer. Ideal for use around the house, dog walking, or fishing.
- ONE-YEAR RETURN POLICY - Buy with confidence. You have a full year to put this flashlight to the test and through its paces. Every purchase comes with an extended one-year return policy and friendly customer service provided by GearLight, a US-based company.
3. Weight and Composition and Waterproofing
Now every time I use a torch I think about these 3 features. The first feature being the most important in my opinion, but you judge for yourself. The weight of the light is important because if I am hiking or backpacking the Appalachian trail, the last thing I want is to have is an over-weighted pack. Now for those of you who are avid hikers, know it is more than the weight of your flashlight, but every ounce you can shave off the better. So keep the weight in mind to is all I am saying. Here is an example of a small compact Fenix flashlight with 860 lumens.
Composition and waterproofing sort of goes hand in hand when you think about it. Most of the quality led flashlights are made from aircraft-grade aluminum is has become the standard for most tactical style lights as well. The same goes for waterproofing too. If you are looking for high quality led light then chances are you will end up with an aluminum housing that is waterproof. For the few that just need a good led light then check out the Dorcy brand.
4. Size Doesn’t Always Matter
Look at David & Goliath. David was a runt but yet he knew his tool the slingshot and took down a giant called Goliath.
LED flashlights have come a long way over the years. They are becoming more compact in size mainly due to the American Cree energy efficient technology. Engineers know the tools that people are looking for and have been able to produce large amounts of power and lumens off of small AAA and AA batteries. Lithium batteries provide even more power than the standard alkaline.
Flashlights are now smaller and more compact largely due to the Cree technology and smaller batteries or fewer batteries in some cases.
5. Type of Batteries
That leads me to tip 5 – Type of batteries the LED flashlight will use.
Normal alkaline batteries: easy to source from your local supermarket, handy and convenient. However, they don’t have the runtime or shelf-life of lithium batteries
Disposable Lithium Batteries such as CR123A batteries have a longer runtime and shelf-life than alkaline but cost a bit more, so this could cause some problems unless you buy rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
Rechargeable Lithium-ion Batteries are the best power source for top quality LED torches. With long runtime and shelf-life as well as the added convenience of being rechargeable, the real advantage is that you’ll never be out of batteries. You can use turbo mode (maximum brightness) as much as you like without having to constantly buy new batteries
6. Beam Features and Modes
Most of the lights that I look for these days have various modes vs the standard
Low-mid-high-turbo brightness levels
Pencil beam – handy for honing in on a target or object
Wide beam – great to illuminate your surroundings
Strobe mode – good for emergency and signaling
Flashing mode – good for signaling, Morse code and emergencies
7. Brand Name
Here is where I am going to challenge the Flashlight Connoisseurs about brand names. Don’t get me wrong, I am a strong believer in the brand name torches such as Surefire, Fenix, and Olight. However, I believe it comes down to the purpose in which you need the tool in the first place. Does it really make sense to spend $150 on a Surefire to keep in the kitchen junk drawer to use around the house? On the flip side of that do you really want to trust a cheaper tactical light that you paid $15 for at Lowes but you just know the quality and performance are just not there? Imagine you are relying on this during a search and rescue op or spelunking…
So keep these points in mind too:
- Better performance
- Bigger brightness
- Additional beam variations
- Longer lifespan, some brands up to 50,000 hours
- Excellent warranties up to 3 years
- Peace of mind
With that said, can you really compare apples with apples when it comes to all the features these brands of the flashlight are supposed to have? That’s a great question. The answer is that you can confidently compare the functionality of all flashlights that have ANSI International Standards accreditation.
As the saying goes,” You get what you pay for”.
As with everything, you get what you pay for. You can spend $20-$50 and get a small LED that’ll serve you well for a short time. The top brand names will cost you $30-$200 depending on the brightness and functionality. For the big search and rescue torches, you’re looking at paying over $200.
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with 3 AAA batteries or a single rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, ADJUSTABLE FOCUS, & FIVE MODES - 5 Useful Settings (High|Medium|Low|Strobe|SOS) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, or camping. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse allowing for easy storage and quick access.
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Built for rough handling, this flashlight can survive a 10-foot drop or being temporary submerged under water. You can even freeze or run it over with a truck and it will still work! Suitable for use in rain, snow, or emergency situations.
- AS SEEN ON TV + BONUS - Same "military" tactical flashlight as seen on TV, shopping networks, and commercials but at a fraction of the price! Includes a bonus pouch/holster to safely store your flashlight.
- EXCEPTIONAL VALUE, 2 FLASHLIGHTS & 2 BONUS CASES - Keep one in your car, one in your home, or gift one to a friend or family member. Every genuine GearLight comes with a one-year no questions asked replacement warranty and friendly customer service provided by GearLight, a U.S.-based company.
- 【BRIGHTEST & LONG-LASTING】 LETMY high lumens flashlights use the BEST XML T6 LED Chip, not other cheap XML T6 ones, emit 2000 lumens, 70% brighter than basic LED flashlight. High performance LED flashlight with high quality of 50,000 hours working life.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FOCUS & FIVE MODES】 Powerful LED generates a brilliant large area floodlight or a perfectly focused spotlight. Adjustable focus with 5 modes: High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS. A full-press to switch on and off and a half-press to cycle through lighting modes (a rapid off-on press also cycles lighting modes). Convenient for your using.
- 【WATERPROOF & HIGH QUALITY FLASHLIGHTS】IPX6 Waterproof, LETMY flash light can waterproof from splashing water from any angle and heatproof. Made of aluminum alloy and rubber. Durable military grade aluminum alloy crust, abrasion resistance. Conveniently takes 3 AAA batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- 【UPGRADED NEW DESIGN】The flashlight tail adopts the newest design, making it more comfortable to press and more convenient to use. A pocket-friendly belt clip make it easy to carry, anti-slip finish holds fast in your hand and hand strip stands on-end as an emergency light.
- 【EXCEPTIONAL VALUE】Include 2 tactical flashlights, keep one in your car, one in your home, or gift one to a friend or family member, great idea as a Christmas gift. Every genuine LETMY flash lights comes with a 2-year replacement warranty and friendly customer service by LETMY, a U.S.-based company.
The best thing to do in determining the best-LED Flashlight is work through these 8 steps and determine your exact flashlight then you’re well on your way to owning the perfect light for you and also getting the best value for your money. To learn about BestFlashlightSpot.com or read about flashlight reviews; Click Here.