Garlic is used in almost every savoury recipe. While this delicious ingredient can elevate any meal, it can also be an absolute pain to mince and crush. Not only does it take ages to prep garlic, but you could also end up with lots of uneven pieces.
Well, the good news is that a garlic press and crusher can end all the hassle. However, if you think you can pick just any press off the shelf – think again. Most designs are useless and lack durability. If you are willing to make an investment that will last years, though, check out these top options:
1. Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press
- Features a powerful lever and ergonomic handles - is effortless to operate (requires up to 60% less effort than other garlic presses), even for those with limited dexterity
- Bevelled holes cut finely in order to maximize the release of flavor and device is suitable for both unpeeled and peeled garlic cloves
- Crafted from exquisite stainless steel that will withstand rigorous and long-term usage
- Easy to clean (dishwasher safe but hand-washing is recommended) - pressing mechanism swings/hinges out for easy access
- Dimensions: 6.5 (L) x 1 (W) x 1.5 (H) inches
This garlic press is the perfect option for cooks that are all about taste. One of the features that set this product apart from the rest is the sieve. If you look at it, you will see that it is made up of beveled holes.
Therefore, when the garlic is pressed into the sieve, the cloves are cut and not bruised. As a result, much of the garlic’s pungent flavor is preserved, like when cut with a knife. Naturally, this would make all the difference in any dish you are cooking.
You can fit several smaller cloves or one large clove inside the press. Thus, you can reduce the time it takes to prep your ingredients. Best of all, it doesn’t matter if the cloves are unevenly shaped. The resulting minced pieces will all be the same shape and size.
There is no denying that it is quite easy to use this powerful-looking tool. The press boasts an ergonomic handle that isn’t just easy to grasp but also makes it easier to plunge down. You can get perfectly minced garlic with up to 60 percent less effort.
Now, on the surface, it can seem a bit extreme to pay quite so much for a garlic press. However, if you are someone that cooks regularly and wants a garlic press that will stand the test of time, this is the product for you.
To begin with, the garlic press is made from high-quality stainless steel and the design is flawless. As such, this is a press that can be put through its paces and still come out on top. There’s no need to worry about any of the parts weakening or loosening up with time.
It should be noted that this garlic press isn’t perfect. While it does offer excellent performance, keeping it clean and well-maintained isn’t always so easy. Now, the sieve can be slipped out so that you can wash it thoroughly. However, it is best not to put this press in the dishwasher. While it has been designed to be dishwasher-safe, the manufacturer recommends that you clean it by hand and then let it air dry.
- Materials: Stainless steel
- Weight: 11 ounces
- Warranty: 2 years
2. Orblue Propress Garlic Press
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE GARLIC PRESS: Stainless steel, rust proof garlic press can mince, chop, and crush food with restaurant quality and ease. This will be the best tool in your kitchen.
- HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION: The heavy duty construction and ergonomic design, ensure you can easily mince unpeeled garlic cloves or peeled ginger root quickly and with minimal effort. Simply press the handles and delicious paste will ooze out, leaving the peel inside. It's like magic!
- EASY TO CLEAN: The garlic press with roller is a breeze to clean. Just place in the dishwasher machine or run through water. Clean up could not be any easier.
- VARIETY OF USES: No more manually hand chopping your garlic! This garlic press perfectly minces, chops, slices, and grinds garlic so your veggie, meat, sauce, or salad dressing will be so delicious your guests will think you had a professional chef!
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Count on the Orblue Stainless Steel Garlic Press or your money back! Click 'Add to Cart' now and enjoy our no-questions-asked, 100% satisfaction guarantee!
The first thing you may notice about this garlic press is that it has a larger compartment for the cloves. This is good news if you need a large quantity of minced garlic quickly or can’t be bothered with mincing a few cloves at a time.
Now, you might imagine that it requires a lot of effort to work such a garlic press. However, there is virtually no effort involved. Simply press down on the lever and you will have evenly minced garlic.
This garlic press is just as useful when you only want to mince a couple of cloves. In this instance, though, you should be prepared for a little mess. Some of the garlic can get stuck in the compartment of the press and will need to be pried out.
Despite the lower cost of this garlic press, it boasts stellar quality. For one thing, the components are stainless steel. They are also rustproof so you don’t have to worry about drying off all the parts perfectly. Not to mention, there is less chance of the press getting damaged as the years go on.
This press is equipped with a lifetime guarantee! So if you don’t like the way it functions or if the pressing action becomes compromised, you can simply return it. Your money will be refunded without any questions asked.
Another benefit is that this garlic press is quite easy to clean. While it is best to hold it under running water first, you can still place it in the dishwasher for a thorough cleaning. What’s more, this press comes equipped with a small cleaning brush. So, you can get into all those small nooks and crannies without any issue at all.
Oh, and this isn’t the only accessory you get with the product. There is a garlic rocker included as well. This way, you can slip the cloves into the rocker, rub gently, and the peel will be removed instantaneously. With this method, you can guarantee that there is absolutely no risk of any garlic peel finding its way into your mince.
- Materials: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Warranty: Lifetime Guarantee
3. Rösle Garlic Press
- Minces even unpeeled cloves of garlic
- Mincing head flicks open for easy rinsing
- Handles lock for storage
- German-designed, 18/10 stainless steel; dishwasher-safe
- Round, satin-finish handles with hanging ring
The only thing trickier than chopping up garlic into perfect pieces is peeling it. The peel often clings to cloves, making it inevitable that you get some in the chopped up pieces. Well, what if you could get rid of the peel while simultaneously mincing your garlic?
This is just the kind of advantage that this garlic press offers. The mincing action is so powerful that you can simply pop in the cloves and end up with perfectly cleaned minced garlic. As you can imagine, this can cut down your prep work quite a bit.
This feature pales in comparison to how well the press minces your garlic. The sieve has been designed well and therefore, cuts the garlic rather than just squeezing it. This produces minute cubes that preserve the flavor of the garlic, making your food that much more delicious.
Made from stainless steel, this is a rather heavy-duty instrument. This is good news since it can be put through its paces time and time again. The quality of the press also ensures that it is going to last you a while, too. The company offers a lifetime guarantee, so this should make you feel better about spending so much on a garlic press.
At the same time, not everybody will find this garlic press easy to use. It is quite heavy and does require some strength. So, if you have a weak grip or need to make lots of minced garlic at a time, it is best to give this design a miss.
A truly enjoyable feature of this garlic press is just how easy it is to clean. Thanks to the design, you just have to flip the handle over and the compartment is completely exposed. This allows you to scrub out any leftover garlic that is stuck inside.
This is one of the pricier models on this list. However, it does make up for this with its top-notch performance and incredible durability. The good news about spending such a large amount on this garlic press is that you are unlikely to need one for several years. This does such a good job and will last long.
- Materials: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 13.4 ounces
- Warranty: Lifetime Guarantee
4. OXO Good Grips Garlic Press
- Large-capacity garlic chamber
- Efficient hole pattern maximizes amount of garlic pressed
- Built-in cleaner pushes out garlic peels
- Sturdy, die-cast zinc construction
- Soft, comfortable, non-slip handles absorb pressure while squeezing, Dishwasher safe
If you are looking for a garlic press that ticks all the right boxes, then the OXO press is for you. Best of all, this press is a good fit for all budgets. While being far more affordable than some high-end models, this mid-range press offers you excellent bang for your buck as well.
So, what is so special about the OXO garlic press? Well, to start with, the compartment is quite large. This allows you to pop in quite a few garlic cloves and have them minced within no time at all. This is true even if you are working with larger cloves.
Another great element of this press is the sieve hole pattern. It has been designed in such a way that it reaches every corner of the pressing compartment. This maximizes how much garlic is both pressed and squeezed out. As such, you don’t have to go scraping the compartment for leftovers ever again.
And if you think you have to use additional force to chop up these cloves, this isn’t the case at all. This press boasts soft, non-slip handles that assist your squeezing action. They absorb the pressure so that your hands won’t have to. This press will be a breeze even if you don’t have too much strength in your hands.
It should also be noted that you won’t need to peel your cloves before popping them into this press. The design ensures that the peel will be automatically removed. And, when you flip the compartment open, the peels are ready to be discarded.
You will also enjoy just how easy it is to clean out this press. Once the handles are moved apart, the compartment is completely revealed, allowing you to clean every inch of it. And the larger, more uniform holes mean that you can rinse out all the stuck garlic simply by running it under a tap.
The only downside with this press is that it’s made from die-cast zinc construction. On the one hand, zinc isn’t a slouch in the strength and quality department. At the same time, it isn’t as durable as stainless steel and thus, may not last as long. The good news, though, is that there is a lifetime warranty in place.
- Materials: Die-cast zinc
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
- Warranty: Lifetime Guarantee
5. Zyliss Susi 3 Garlic Press
- Sturdy cast aluminum garlic press quickly and easily minces garlic with no need to peel the clove
- Lightweight ergonomic handle makes pressing garlic or ginger easy
- Generous size hopper accommodates large garlic cloves
- Built in cleaning tool fits holes perfectly and makes quick work of cleanup
- Zyliss 5 Year Manufacturer Guarantee - Dishwasher Safe, Hand Wash Recommended
Let’s face it, if you aren’t the strongest person around, some of these garlic presss can be a pain to use. This isn’t the case with the Susi 3, though. It doesn’t matter how little strength you have, you will be able to use this garlic press without any trouble.
To begin with, this garlic press is far lighter than many of the other brands. Since it lacks any heft, you should be able to use this press with one hand. The curved grip makes the press far easier to hold and press down on as well.
What stands out about this press, though, is the mincing mechanism. It is unique, allowing even the smallest pressing action from you to be translated to a much more significant crushing function. Due to this, you don’t have to make much of an effort at all.
However, there is a catch. The manufacturer claims that this garlic press can remove the peel from the cloves. It does, but this is going to require more effort on your part. If this isn’t something you can manage, however, it is best to peel the cloves before popping them in the compartment.
The compartment is rather generously sized as well. You will be able to fit in several smaller cloves or one large clove with ease.
This garlic press is made from cast aluminum. So, despite not being as durable as stainless steel, you shouldn’t have to worry about damaging it. At the very least, it will last you several years and the company does offer up a warranty. Furthermore, at this price point, you will find it difficult to argue with such quality.
Another fun fact about this press is that it is incredibly simple to clean. It is equipped with a rubber component that fits the holes in the sieve perfectly. This allows you to push out any pieces of garlic that may be stuck in between the crevices. Also, the compartment can be open up wide, giving you access to every inch of it.
- Materials: Cast Aluminum
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Warranty: 5 Years
6. Alpha Grillers Garlic Press
- SOLID STAINLESS STEEL GARLIC PRESS. The rust proof garlic press is made from 100% premium 304 stainless steel. The peeler tube is made from tough silicone. These are cooking gadgets to last a lifetime.
- GARLIC MINCER FOR UNPEELED CLOVES. Thanks to the heavy duty construction and ingenious design, you can easily mince unpeeled garlic cloves. Once you press the handles, delicious paste is squeezed out, leaving just the peel inside.
- A GARLIC CRUSHER THAT’S A BREEZE TO CLEAN. The large chamber flips out for easy cleaning. Simply rinse under running water or run through the dishwasher. Bonus cleaning brush included.
- MULTI-USE & VERSATILE. Crush garlic, ginger and nuts with ease. Want peeled garlic for slicing? No problem! Use our amazing garlic peeler / roller to get the job done. Full instructions included in the box
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK! We are so confident that you will love our Press & Peeler Set that we are offering all customers a lifetime guarantee. If at any point you decide you are not completely satisfied with your set, just drop us an email and we will refund 100% of the money. You wont get this kind of risk free service with big brands like Oxo, Zyliss, Pampered Chef and Kuhn Rikon.
Do you want a high-quality garlic press without any frills? Then this press will meet all your requirements. It is affordably priced and gets the job done every time. If you aren’t interested in high-end kitchen tools, you will love what this has to offer at a lower cost.
This is a rather powerful garlic press, which means that you don’t have to put in too much effort when you are mincing the garlic. Instead, you can let the superb mechanism do all the heavy lifting for you. In the end, you will be left with beautifully crushed garlic pieces.
The garlic press is so tough that you don’t actually have to remove the peel from the cloves before putting them in the compartment. This press is capable of simultaneously removing the peel and crushing the cloves all at once.
If you don’t have too much faith in this process, there’s no problem. The garlic press comes with a roller that you can use to remove the peel from the cloves ahead of time. When you use this accessory, you just have to press down with even less power when mincing the garlic.
The compartment is quite sizable as well and is capable of housing several cloves at once. This means that you can get the job done even faster! Even with a full compartment, it is pretty easy to mince up the garlic and it doesn’t require all that much effort.
The press is quite heavy-duty. First of all, it is made of stainless steel so you don’t have to worry about it lasting a long time. Even if you use this garlic press daily, it will hold together for quite some time. There is also the fact that the press is rustproof. Thus, you don’t have to worry about wiping every ounce off the press every time you use it.
The only real issue with this press is the design of the compartment. The way it’s built means that small particles of garlic get stuck on the sides. These can be quite tricky to get out and can take some time. Now, the press is equipped with a handy brush. Even with this, though, there will be some elbow grease required.
- Materials: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 10.1 ounces
- Warranty: Lifetime Guarantee
Your Guide to Choosing the Best Garlic Press
It is important to know how to select a good garlic press. After all, this information will come in handy at any point in the future when you need help with your garlic prepping. What’s more, you could even gift one of these to a friend who loves to cook!
You will have noticed that most garlic presses in the above list are made from stainless steel. There is a reason for this. This material is incredibly tough and isn’t easily damaged. It also tends to be rust and corrosion-proof. Thus, if you are looking for a material that will stand the test of time, stainless steel is your best bet.
Naturally, other material options could work just as well. Before you make a decision, however, do your research. Check that the material can stand up to continuous use and that it won’t get easily corroded or oxidized.
The weight of a press is often due to the heft and durability of the material. Therefore, weight tends to be a measure of how solid a particular press is. At the same time, a crusher that is too heavy isn’t going to help you all that much. In this instance, it will be too difficult for you to handle, especially if you aren’t used to heavy-duty work. Due to this, you have to find a balance between these two features.
It is also a good idea to pay attention to the compartment size of the press. The exact dimensions will depend on how you cook. A smaller compartment works well if you don’t use too much garlic in your dishes. Or, if you only cook for one or two people at a time.
On the other hand, a larger compartment is more versatile. In can easily mince larger cloves. Or, it can crush several smaller cloves at once. Not to mention, it is perfect when you need to mince a lot of garlic in one go.
You should always look at the crushing mechanism of the press as they can vary quite a bit. Look for features that create greater force inside the compartment. This way, you don’t have to make as much of an effort when pressing down on the handle.
At the same time, pay attention to the holes in the sieve. If they are very small, the garlic will be mashed almost to a paste. Larger holes will allow the garlic to come out shredded. Square sieves, on the other hand, will result in smaller cubes. Select the one you are most likely to need in your favorite recipes.
Ease of Use and Grip
You should consider how simple a press is to hold and use. If the action of the press is too awkward or if your grip keeps slipping, you aren’t going to want to use that product all that often. This is why it is best to get a press that has ergonomic handles and requires a simple press-down action.
If you want your press to last as long as possible, you need to be able to clean it thoroughly. Of course, with garlic presses, there is plenty of opportunities for garlic to get stuck in the compartment. Thus, get one that can be opened up completely and cleaned. It is always a plus if the press comes with a brush or built-in cleaner.
Now, you will always need to rinse out your press under a running tap. Nevertheless, it can be helpful to have one that is dishwasher-safe. This allows you to clean the entire tool without any hassle at all.
These are the best garlic presses and crushers on the market. So, if this device is something you have been looking for, you now know how to pick a make and model that is right for you.