Diabetes is known as a dangerous disease, spreading the footprints across the globe. Though a number of diabetic cases are genetic, diabetes also spread because of the unsustainable lifestyle and food habits.
Therefore, people suffering from this disease should pay good attention to their eating habits as well as they should monitor the blood sugar levels strictly. In case the level of blood sugar is left unchecked, then it can result in some fatal consequences.
Foods to control the blood glucose level:
Some of the food items have great impacts on the blood sugar level. Knowing about the foods that control blood sugar is especially important if you have diabetes. Besides, in this case, you should choose only the food items that can reduce your blood sugar level. Here in this article, I will talk about 7 foods, which play important roles in maintaining and managing the blood sugar level.
- Spinach and some other leafy vegetables: if you are in search of some diabetes-friendly food items? Then let me tell you that spinach and other leafy green vegetables like chard, kale, etc. are loaded with minerals, vitamins, phytonutrients, and insoluble fibers. All of these have no harmful effects on diabetes.
- Oats: One of the main ingredients of oats is the Beta Glucan, one kind of soluble fiber. This ingredient helps in delaying the carbohydrate absorption and it results in lowering the blood sugar level. Therefore, oats are considered to be one of the foods that control blood sugar. But it is better to opt for the regular, quick-cooking or no-sugar-added steel-cut oats instead of the oat-based cereals and instant sugar-laden oatmeal.
- Chia seeds: These seeds are known as the nutritional powerhouse as these are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and fiber and high in the protein. Flour made from these seeds is known as a superb addition to any diabetes-friendly kitchen.
- Nuts: No matter whatever nut you prefer like pecans, walnuts, peanuts, all of them are just wonderful for controlling the blood sugar level. Regardless of the diminutive size of these nuts, they are power-packed resources of unsaturated or healthy fat, fiber, and protein. All of these three things have positive impacts on controlling the blood glucose level.
- Cinnamon: It is a must to have cinnamon in your place in case you are having diabetes. Studies have proved that just a teaspoon of cinnamon on a daily basis can increase insulin sensitivity while decreasing the fasting blood glucose levels significantly. You can add cinnamon to your daily diet in several ways like adding it to the morning oatmeal, in the coffee or little amount in the fish or chicken.
- Coffee: Studies have proved that drinking caffeinated coffee can effectively reduce getting the risk of type 2 diabetes. Coffee includes the antioxidants namely quinines and chlorogenic acid and both boost the sensitivity of the body cell to the insulin. This thing results in controlled blood sugar. So, if you drink 4 or more cups on a daily basis, you are less likely to get type 2 diabetes.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Olive oil is extremely versatile. While you relish a food prepared with the extra virgin olive oil, you actually taste the powerful antioxidants along with the phytonutrients. Both of these things bring some anti-inflammatory outcomes to the body. Besides, these things also help in protecting and repairing the cardiovascular system that can get damaged due to the continuous fluctuations in the blood sugar. So, you can add them to everything from the sautés to salads.
Now you have all the information in hand. Start adding these foods in your daily regimen to keep yourself as well as your family members healthy.