Along with your fishing rod and line, a fly fishing reel is the final piece of the jigsaw for any fly fisherman. The primary job of the fly reel is to hold your backing and fly line.
When buying a fly reel, you’re going to want to find a reel that matches with your rod so that it isn’t too heavy. Generally speaking, it’s a case of the lighter the better; but you’re not going to want to compromise on quality materials in order to achieve that. An important part of your reel is the disc drag system, responsible for reeling in the fish that you have caught. If you’re looking at catching larger species of fish, you’re going to want a reel with a powerful disc drag system. Finally, you’re going to want to know which hand you reel in with and select a fly fishing reel to match.
In this article, we’re going to review the 3 best fly fishing reels available at Amazon.
#3 – Avid Fly Fishing Reel by Maxcatch
- THREE-YEAR-WARRANTY – we as a 15 years fly reel factory, offer “No Hassle” warranty for all our reels. If you are not 100% satisfied with our reel, you can return it in any time.
- Patent Pending DRAG DESIGN - One revolution drag knob with Patent Pending hidden drag knob screw. Engraved with numbered settings
- SMOOTH and RELIABLE DRAG - Hybrid cork and teflon disc and stainless steel disc drag system with one-way clutch bearing provides smooth, immediate drag engagement. Finely machined and knurled metal screw caps can loosen the spool and easily change settings from left to right hand retrieval
- Mid-ARBOR SPOOL and Super Light housing design - A perfect balance between backing capacity and rapid line pickup. And also reduced line memory. Reinforced spokes cutting for lightest weight while strong enough for fighting the monsters
- DURABLE CORROSION RESISTANCE - CNC-machined 6061-T17 aluminum alloy for high-impact durability and Hard Anodized Surface for corrosion resistance under all conditions.
This Maxcatch reel is a superb value entry level reel. Available in a wide range of colours, you’re sure to find a version that matches with the rest of your equipment. Manufactured from bar stock aluminium, this all-condition corrosion resistant reel is both light and strong; backed up by the manufacturer’s lifetime warranty.
With a teflon disc and stainless steel drag system, Maxcatch didn’t hold back on quality materials despite this reel carrying a price tag that even a beginner could afford.
By default, the Maxcatch Avid reel has been built as a left-hand retrieve reel, but be easily converted to a right hand if required. In addition, changing the spool is effortless.
The reel has some excellent reviews on Amazon, with many positive reviews about the light weight and build quality. The only real criticism is that the drag isn’t as smooth as some of the competitors. Overall, this is a fantastic reel for the price.
#2 – SLV Diecast Aluminum Fly Reel by Okuma
- Multi-disk cork and stainless steel drag washers
- Roller bearing allows the drag to Engage in one direction only
- Precision Machined brass bushing drive System
At the time of writing, Okuma’s SLV Diecast Aluminium Fly Reel has almost 200 reviews on Amazon boasting a 4.5 / 5 star rating, with many buyers reporting that the reel outperforms others at double the cost and more.
Given Okuma’s reputation, it’s no surprise. The brand pride themselves on manufacturing high quality reels and the SLV Diecast Aluminum Fly Reel certainly fits the bill. With a die cast aluminum frame and stainless steel spool shaft, Okuma haven’t held back on the materials despite the affordable price.
The large arbor spool design enables smooth, lightning fast retrieval of even larger species of fish.
And don’t be fooled by the modest price of this reel, it’s lightweight, super functional and extremely hardwearing. The only real criticism of the reel is that it isn’t so aesthetically pleasing on the eye, however there are few complaints with it’s functionality.
#1 – Sword Fly Fishing Reel and Spare Spools by Piscifun
- THREE-YEAR WARRANTY - Your reel has been set at the factory for left-hand retrieve. To convert your reel to right-hand retrieve, please contact us for guidance.
- SILKY SMOOTH DRAG - Multi-disc cork and stainless steel drag system with one-way clutch bearing for smooth immediate drag engagement. Accurate click drag and silent retrieve.
- SOLID and LIGHT WEIGHT - Precision CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum alloy for high-impact durability; Larger CNC hollow design makes the reel lighter than ordinary ones.
- CORROSION RESISTANCE - Hard anodized for surface protection increases abrasion resistance and weather fastness; Cold forged and tempered for superior strength and rigidity.
- Mid-ARBOR DESIGN - Reducing line memory while also facilitating lightning-quick line pickup.
It’s very rare to find a product sold on Amazon with over 200 reviews and a solid 5/5 rating, but Piscifun have nailed it with their affordable and high quality Sword Fly Fishing Reel.
This reel is constructed using aerospace grade aluminum, which has been anodized for corrosion resistance. The stainless steel drag system utilises a one-way clutch bearing, enabling super smooth drag. Overall the reel is lightweight without compromising on quality, backed up by Piscifun’s three-year warranty.
One of the most outstanding features of the Piscifun Sword is the mid-arbor design, which enables super fast pickups; even when catching the fastest, heaviest fish.
Available in a wide range of colours including Gunmetal, Gold and Titanium; the Sword is not only super functional, but also incredible looking.
Like its competitors, the Piscifun Sword can be easily converted from left to right retrieve.
That concludes this fly fishing reel review, we hope it helps you to choose the right one for your needs.