If you’re serious about ice fishing and planning long expeditions, then a quality ice shelter is going to be an integral purchase for you. Ice shelters, sometimes known as ice shacks, shanties, or huts; are structures designed to protect anglers from the elements when fishing in cold conditions.
There are both permanent and temporary ice shelters available. Temporary ice shelters are portable solutions, usually made from weather-resistant material that can be easily transported from area to area during fishing. These are the most popular shelters on the market.
When deciding which ice shelter is best for you, you’re going to want to how many people your shelter needs to hold, the weight of the shelter, and how you plan to transport it. In addition, you’re going to want high-quality materials that are weather-resistant and keep you warm.
Below, we’re going to review Amazon’s 3 best ice shelters.
#3 – Fatfish 9416 Ice Shelter by Eskimo
- Everything fits into an oversized cinch duffle bag that can easily be carried on your back. Up to 60% more fishable area than any shelter on the market with similar capacity and size
- Designed with two doors on opposite sides of the shelter to allow anglers easy access to the incredibly large fishing area inside. Heavy-duty material sewn over corner joints for reinforcement.
- Large, removable window panels for more viewing configurations. Adjust your shelter’s ventilation with detachable hook & loop windows.
- 300 Denier IceTight fabric with a 59% higher thread count vs comparable shelters. Includes deluxe cam strap tie-downs with carabiner attachments.
- Features reflective trim, and self-tapping ice anchors that are easier to grip and will not bend under pressure. Mesh storage pockets keep essential fishing gear handy
The Fatfish 9416 is a large portable ice shelter with capacity for 7-9 people. In comparison to Eskimo’s smaller Quickfish shelters, the Fatfish gives you an 80% increase in fishable area, while maintaining the same simple setup that has won Eskimo so many fantastic reviews in the past.
In the Fatfish 9614, Eskimo has created another strong, durable shelter; constructed using 9 ice anchors that remain sturdy even under pressure. Despite having 2 doors and 10 removable windows, this large shelter can still be packed in a single, oversized backpack for easy transportation.
From a design point of view, the flatfish is distinct in red with black accents and reflective highlighting that can be easily spotted from a distance.
#2 – Quickfish 3 Ice Shelter by Eskimo
- Everything fits into a cinch carrying bag that can easily be carried on your back. 60-Second Set-Up. 3 person capacity with set-up size of 70" x 70" and 80" high and Elbow room of 90" x 90"
- Mesh storage pockets to keep essential fishing gear handy
- Removable windows adjust your shelter's ventilation with detachable hook and loop windows
- 300 Denier IceTight fabric with a 59 percent higher thread count vs comparable shelters and fishable area is 34.0 square feet
- Heavy-duty material sewn over corner joints for reinforcement. Self-tapping ice anchors that are easier to grip and will not bend under pressure
The Quickfish 3 is the third model in Eskimo’s highly rated Quickfish series. The Quickfish 3 has some improvements on the exceptional Quickfish 2 model, with stronger ice anchors that will not bend, even under extreme pressure.
In addition to this, the Quickfish 3 keeps all of the features that made the previous model so popular. The material is heavy-duty, poles are strong and the bottom is reinforced. This model includes YKK zippers and 2 removable windows for when ventilation is required. Everything fits into an easy-to-transport zipped backpack that is included within the package.
#1 – Quickfish 2 Ice Shelter by Eskimo
- Everything fits into a cinch carrying bag that can easily be carried on your back. 60-Second Set-Up. 2 person capacity with set-up size of 60" x 60" and 67" high and Elbow room of 76" x 76"
- Mesh storage pockets to keep essential fishing gear handy. Single door with strong durable YKK zipper. Extra-long skirt helps eliminate drafts and keep elements out.
- Heavy-duty material sewn over corner joints for reinforcement. Adjust your shelter's ventilation with detachable hook and loop windows
- 300 Denier IceTight fabric with a 59 percent higher thread count vs comparable shelters
- Includes 6 self-tapping ice anchors that are easier to grip and will not bend under pressure
Eskimo complete a clean sweep in our rankings, with the Quickfish 2 shelter at number one position. Boasting great feedback on Amazon, this 2 person shelter provides a fantastic specification despite its extremely modest price tag.
While the Quickfish 3 (which we rated at #2) does boast a slightly improved specification, the Quickfish 2 remains our number 1 ranked shelter due to it’s a price to quality ratio. This shelter is constructed from 300 denier fabric that is completely icing tight and had a 59% higher thread count in comparison to other shelters in its price bracket.
As the innovators of portable ice shelters, Eskimo has managed to design a lightweight shelter that fits easily into the included backpack. They have achieved this without sacrificing the quality of the materials used. Whilst creating this ice shelter review, the only real criticism is that the instructions could be better; the shelter itself is flawless.