- Sturdy cast iron construction for optimal stability and durability
- Quick position table mounted swiveling vise clamp for angled work pieces
- Feed lever features six positions for quick adjustments
- Table and fence tilt from 0 to 35 degrees for a wide variety of applications
- Gas cylinder controlled rack and pinion head raising and lowering system for smooth operation
Stand alone mortisers have been in existence for over a decade now. Previously, these mortises were commonly used for commercial purposes. However, several manufacturers have decided to offer more affordable mortisers ideal for both domestic and commercial use. One such stand-alone mortise is the Powermatic 1791264 Model or the 719T tilt table mortise for short. This model features more cast iron than its bench-top counterparts. The 719T tilt mortise is made from heavy-duty cast iron, which makes it ideal for rigorous and demanding jobs. It is sturdy equipment that has been assembled with equally long-lasting parts.
- The 719T tilt table Mortiser is durable and stable. This is thanks to the heavy-duty cast iron used in its construction. Despite its large size and weight, the 719T is easy to set up and is also very accurate.
- The Mortiser has a large working surface area for support. The wooden table of the mortise is large enough to accommodate the most demanding of jobs. Additionally, the table is highly adjustable to any angle between 0 and 35 degrees. The table is also movable and is capable of moving forward, backward, and even sideways.
- The 719T comes with a large steel enclosed cabinet where chisels and other such accessories can be stored. This steel cabinet has a limited warranty of five years. The cabinet makes work easier and enhances efficiency. In addition to the steel cabinet, this mortise also comes with an extension that allows workers to use other chisel brands and bit. This is particularly beneficial since most Powermatic chisels are normally 2 inches longer than other chisels.
Features and Specifications
The 719T tilt table mortise features a large wooden table that measures 20-1/4 inches by 7 inches. The table is adjustable to any angle from 0 to 35 degrees. This is in addition to the wooden table, which acts as the primary work station of the mortise, being movable and is capable of moving right, left, backward and forwards. For power, the mortise features a 1-horsepower motor.
The mortise has a feed lever that features six positions for quick adjustments. This table mortise relies on its gas cylinder rack and pinion system for its raising and lowering system. This gear system comes equipped with a spring-loaded position and adjustable handle. The head of the mortise is fitted with adjustable jibs, which provide ease of maintenance for a very long time, hence reducing the machine’s chances of breaking down.
The mortiser has a spindle speed of 1725 rotations per minute or rpm for short and Â inch chuck size. The chisel capacity is between 1/4 inches and 1 inch, while the head stroke is six inches. The distance between the chiseled center and fence is four inches.
The 719T tilt mortiser despite its many benefits is not devoid of a few drawbacks. For starters, some users have complained that the mortiser’s stand is to low, which prompts them to stop when they are using. The distance between the table and the floor is 32.5 inches, which can cause discomfort to some users, especially tall individuals. It is recommended that the stand needs to be approximately 36 inches for comfortable work.
It is important to note that the Powermatic mortiser is made in Taiwan, something that does not augur well with some American consumers, who opt for American made mortisers. That being said, the perception that goods made in China and Taiwan are of poor quality has worked against this mortiser.
Despite the mortiser being made in Taiwan, it is still a great bargain. Some people, however, find this an issue because they would prefer to buy equipment made in the US or in Europe. The fact that it is manufactured abroad in Taiwan means that its construction cost was lower than that of its competitors. With that, the mortiser is cheaper than many of its competitors, which is an added bonus for consumers.
However, many who are skeptical about Taiwan and Chinese products find it difficult to purchase this mortiser as an alternative to other American made mortisers. Additionally, the low stand may discourage certain individuals from purchasing this mortiser. All in all, though, it is a good mortiser to acquire for domestic use or for a small furniture shop. The sturdy and durable nature of the 719T tilt mortiser makes it ideal even for demanding jobs.