Even before I had kids, I knew that there was inherent value in having a backyard. I remember playing in my yard when I was young, and I wanted my children to have that same experience growing up. Part of what made going outside so much fun was the fact that I had an outdoor playset to keep myself occupied.
There was a slide, a swing, and a sandbox, so I was always eager to get out there and stay active. With so many things competing for kids’ attention these days, it’s important that you instill the nature of play into your children so that they don’t become too lazy or overweight. A great way to do that is by having a playset in your backyard that your child can’t wait to use and will get countless hours of enjoyment from.
Today I’ll be showing you some of the best outdoor playsets available, as well as show you which elements you should be looking for to get the most out of your purchase. Even if you have limited yard space, a playset is a fantastic way to keep your kids active and healthy.
Recommended Product Reviews
Now that we have covered the essentials of choosing Best Swing Sets for Toddlers, it’s time we have to go through the reviews of the top five. I have spent a lot of time comparing these products and I am confident you will find the following satisfactory.Invalid table id.
1. Backyard Discovery Somerset All Cedar Wood Playset Swing Set
- Your purchase includes One Playhouse with observation window and green/yellow canopy, lower fort with snack stand and bench, two belt swings and trapeze swinging bar, rock wall & flat step entry ladder, and 8ft. super speedy slide
- Playset dimensions: 15’ 3" W x 10’ 9" D x 8’ 10" H | Weight – 225 lbs. | Recommended maximum of 9 children at the same time | Weight limit – 120 lbs. | For children between 3-10 years
- Easy Assembly – Supported by the step-by-step interactive BILT app. Assembly requires two moderately skilled people 18-24 hours.
- All lumber is pre-stained for a smooth and clear appearance, as well as cut and stamped with the part number to help speed up the building process. Some pilot-hole drilling may be required
- With small, tight knot structure, your lumber will be less likely to develop small cracks emanating from knots. Its laminated swing beam is built strong, with steel clam-shell brackets to ensure that swinging is always safe
When it comes to finding the best outdoor playset, you want something that can hold up to the elements and will effectively last for years to come
You don’t want the entire thing to become useless after one summer, so it’s important that your playset is made from sturdy, durable materials.
That being said, this Backyard Discovery Somerset Playset is made from cedar wood, which is known for its robust willingness to stay strong even in bad weather. What makes this playset so great is that it comes with a bunch of different things that your children will enjoy. I always loved the swings, and the Somerset comes with three of them.
Two are your standard belt swing, but in the middle, you have a trapeze so your little one can swing like a monkey or a circus performer. What I also like about this playset is that it has two stories. My kids love playing house, fort, or whatever else they can imagine, so having something that both looks and feels like a real building can ensure that they will always have a great time.
The top is covered in canvas, which is designed to withstand the elements for years to come. To get to the upper level, your child can either use a ladder or a climbing surface (similar to a rock wall at a gym). Finally, this set comes with a built-in slide so your kids can spend hours climbing up and sliding down. Overall, this outdoor playset has everything your child could want and comes with all of the standard safety features that you need for peace of mind
- All cedar wood construction
- Canvas roof keeps out rain and inclement weather
- Two-level structure to keep your kids entertained
- Standard ladder as well as a rock wall to get to the upper level
- Three swings included
- Two belts and one trapeze swing
- Built-in bench on the lower level
- Built-in slide
2. Swing-N-Slide Jamboree Fort Playset
- Includes all premium, pre-cut lumber and hardware included with fully illustrated instructions
- Includes Rock climbing wall, wood roof, picnic table with awning, telescope, 2 swings, and a ring/trapeze combo
- Each swing seat supports up to 115 pounds
- Cool wave slide is proudly made in the USA and backed by a lifetime Warranty
- Slide supports up to 250 pounds
Next, we have the Swing-N-Slide Jamboree Fort Playset. Much like the Somerset listed above, this playset has everything your child would want and is built to withstand the elements like a champ.
There is, however, one critical difference between this playset and the Somerset, which is that the Jamboree Fort uses plywood instead of cedar.
I’m not an expert in wood, but I do know that cedar can be much more durable than most other woods, so it’s up to you if that is something you want. Regardless, the Jamboree Fort comes with a lot of exciting features to keep your little ones happy. Much like the Somerset, this playset comes with three swings so you kids can entertain friends whenever they come over.
There are two standard belt swings and, in the middle, a trapeze so your child can swing like Tarzan. This set also has a built-in slide that is even covered against cracks and breaks. Like most outdoor playsets, the Jamboree fort has two levels. The upper level can be reached via a rock wall, and while up there, your child can enjoy a built-in steering wheel and a mounted telescope.
Overall, this set is built to look like a fort, so your kids can spend countless hours manning their stations against whatever their imaginations come up with. One other nice feature of the Jamboree Fort is the inclusion of a picnic table at the bottom. Your children will probably love to take all their meals outside, and the table even comes with an awning to protect against the sun.
The canopy is made of canvas, but the roof of this structure is also made of wood, so it will last as long as the structure does.
- All lumber included and pre-cut
- Two levels of fun wooden roof
- Upper-level access via a rock wall
- Built-in steering wheel and telescope, as well as flag mounts
- Three swings to belt swing and one trapeze
- The wavy slide included and is covered against wear and tear
- Picnic table built into the structure and covered with an awning
- Meets all health and safety requirements
3. Backyard Discovery Skyfort II All Cedar Wood Swing
- Assembled Dimensions: 21' 11"W x 16' 9"D x 12' 4"H
- Easy Assembly: Assistance with BILT, a 3D-guided interactive assembly app compatible with any Google or Apple device.
- Elevated play: Large, raised clubhouse on the Skyfort II featuring a wooden roof, trimmed windows, a covered upper porch, unique bay windows and a sun deck.
- Lower deck: Including snack stand and picnic table as well as a sandbox area.
- High flying swings: Two belt swings and a two-person glider provides swinging fun for up to 4 kids at once.
While the other sets on this list are fantastic in their own right, if you really want to get the super deluxe model for your children (especially if you have a lot of kids, or they are very popular with their peers), then you want the Skyfort II Playset.
Simply put, I am in awe as to how cool this whole thing is, and it looks like it would be at home in a public playground rather than someone’s backyard. There is so much to do with the Skyfort that I don’t think your kids will ever want to come back into the house. Let’s start with the structure itself.
Like the Somerset model, the Skyfort is made with 100% cedarwood, so you know that it has quality craftsmanship and will last a long time. Like the Jamboree, the roof of this structure is also made of wood, so your kids can be safe from the elements. The Skyfort has two levels. The bottom has a built-in picnic table that sits underneath the upper level so your kids will be out of the sun.
The top-level is mostly enclosed (like a house) and even has windows and an awning over the slide. To cap it all off, there is a lookout post on the top with a mounted telescope. A rock-climbing wall gets your kids to the upper level, but there is also a ladder in the back. On one side of the Skyfort is a swing set with three swings. Two of them are your standard belt swings, but it also has a two-person glider so your kids can have an even better experience.
On the other side is a set of monkey bars so your children can practice their ape skills. Adept kids can even use the monkey bars to gain entry to the top level. Other highlights of this playset are a sandbox on the bottom level and a built-in slide. Overall, the Skyfort has virtually everything you and your children could ever possibly want or need.
- All cedar wood construction
- Two-level structure bottom level has a built-in picnic table
- Sandbox also included
- The upper level is enclosed and comes with a wood roof
- Bay windows, a porch, and an awning included
- Crow’s nest with a mounted telescope
- Rock wall and standard ladder built-integrated wavy slide
- Monkey bars on one side
- Swing set on the other side
- Two belt swings and a two-person glider included
- Meets all safety standards
4. Backyard Discovery Thunder Ridge All Cedar Wood Playset Swing Set
- A wooden swing set featuring both upper an upper play fort with slide and a lower backyard fort, 2 belt swings, a playset glider and monkey bars
- Heavy duty Backyard Discovery kids fort with wood roof. Side porch with 5-ft high deck and pergola top with this wood swing set kit
- Some of the swing set hardware includes a lower clubhouse with snack stand, bench and activity shelf;Maximum children: 9
- Two standard belt swing set swings and a two-person swing set glider. A 10 foot playset slide - super safe but speedy
- Standard playset ladder. Wooden swing set with monkey bars add an extra challenge
When it comes to the best outdoor playsets, no one makes them quite like Backyard Discovery.
We’ve already seen the Somerset and the monstrous Skyfort, but now we come to what could be described as a hybrid between the two, which is the Thunder Ridge Playset.
This model is not quite as expansive as the Skyfort, but it does have extra features that you won’t find on the Somerset. Nonetheless, your children are sure to enjoy endless entertainment with this set.
The structure of the Thunder Ridge is not quite as inclusive as the Skyfort, but it is still impressive. Everything is built with all cedarwood, so it’s made to withstand the elements and stay standing for years and years. There are two levels to this set. The bottom level has a built-in window and bench and even comes with a snack stand.
The upper level has a wooden roof, a patio with open rafters above, and an awning for the slide. To get to the top level, your kids can either use the ladder or the integrated monkey bars if they like a challenge. To the side is a swing set that mirrors the Skyfort exactly.
There are two standard belt swings and a two-person glider. Finally, the slide on this set is ten feet long, which is longer than any of the other playsets listed. It’s wavy and built to withstand most wear and tear.
- All cedar wood construction to-level structure
- Top-level has a patio, wooden roof, an awning for the slide
- The bottom level has a snack stand, server window, and built-in bench
- Access the top level via ladder or monkey bars
- The superfast ten-foot long slide
- Swing set on the sideTwo belt swings and a two-person glider included
- Meets all health and safety standards
5. Flexible Flyer “World Of Fun” Swing Set
- Powder coat painted frame for strength and stability, Silver Grey and Black colored frame
- Suggested age range is 2 years to 10 years old, Maximum of 10 children can play on this product when adhering to the weight restriction
- Weight restriction is 105 pounds per seat / play, Total maximum weight limit is 1050 pounds
- Adult assembly is required
- Made in the USA and backed by a 180 day limited manufacturer warranty
Finally, we come to the Flexible Flyer World of Fun Swing Set. Unlike the other models on this list, the Flyer is only a swing set, so it doesn’t have any structures for your kids to play on.
That being said, if you have a limited budget or limited backyard space, then this swing set is a fantastic way to keep your kids active without building a massive fort. Although the Flyer is designed as a swing set, it truly does provide a “world of fun”. This model comes with five different swings to keep your kids occupied. There are two standard belt swings, a trapeze, and two two-person gliders. The first glider is enclosed and made of thick plastic, and the second has two seats and a footrest for both swingers.
On one side of the swings is a built-in slide with a ladder and handles at the top for stability and safety. On the other side is a see-saw. Overall, up to ten children can play on this set without violating the weight restrictions.
- Durable steel frame
- Comes with five swings to belt swings
- Two two-person gliders
- One trapeze
- See-saw on one side
- Slide with a ladder on the other side
- Up to ten kids can play at once
- Comes with six-month limited warranty
- Made in the USA
When trying to pick out the best outdoor playset, there is really only one that I would pick as the absolute best. However, not all of us have the money, time, and space for a full-size Skyfort, so that means that you may be forced to choose another option.
Overall, I would pick any of the models from Backyard Discovery since they are all made of cedar and have tons of features that your kids will love. However, I do also like the Flexible Flyer and its “world of fun”. The Flyer can be an excellent choice for any backyard or a family on a budget.